How Ham Radio Works
Why would I get into ham radio?
Frequencies and Transmitting Modes
Ham Radio Activities
What are the amateur radio operator exams like?
Ham Radio Equipment
- Metal window screens in upper floors of hotels and motels
- Aluminum extension ladders, insulated from the ground, leaning against a house (the lower the frequency, the longer the ladder)
- Soldered-together rain gutters and downspouts
- Flat copper "burglar-tape" hidden behind wallpapered walls
- Extended "Slinky" toys supported by a rope through the middle, in an attic
- Camera-tripod-supported whip antenna
- Disguised flagpoles fed with buried coaxial cable
- Fine wires cast with a fishing rod between dormitory buildings
What keeps ham operators from transmitting on the same frequency?
Hams collect confirmations of contacts using QSL cards. Hams collect the QSL cards and receive awards for contacting so many countries on certain frequency bands. VHF and UHF hand-held radios typically use channeledcommunications, using selectable fixed frequencies.